Monday, March 8, 2010

Oscar betting doesn't pay off

Oscar betting wasn’t pointless a week before, the winners have been known with certainty for months. It’s pretty ridiculous how the media has told the public who will win before the ceremony starts.

I thought I’d be clever and so I bet on “outsiders”. Basically anyone who didn’t win was an outsider.

If you looked at the odds on British bookie, Ladbrokes, you would have seen Jeff Bridges at odds of just over 1-1 for Best Actor for his role in Crazy Heart. Jeremy Renner from The Hurt Locker which won Best Picture and Best Director was at 26-1, so why not go for him.

I thought why not bet on Up In The Air for Best Picture which is topical because it features the most recent economic recession. Why not, I got 9:1 or something, because Hurt Locker was so short at 1,6 or so.

I suppose Iraq was still topical or maybe Hollywood had just been very strict with it? Movies like In The Valley of Elah didn’t win any Oscars so why should Hurt Locker have?

Why, because Hurt Locker is a very good film. It probably helps that both Elah and Locker were written by the same person, Mark Boal then.

So I should have seen Kathryn Bigelow winning best director, being the first female to do so in the awards 82-year history and yet I decided that the Academy would “pull a fast one” and award Quentin Tarantino for Inglourious Basterds, since he hasn’t got the Best Director award before but he won at Cannes in 1994 for Pulp Fiction. So many film nuts think he’s a brilliant talent; I’m less sure on that one.

For once, the judges threw no surprises. Monique won Best Supporting Actress for Precious, Christoph Waltz got Best Supporting Actor for Basterds and Sandra Bullock was awarded for The Blind Side. Even the Best Original Screenplay went to Hurt Locker and Best Adapted Screenplay to Precious.

So much for District 9, then; I suppose South African accents awards do not guarantee.

From now on, I’m sticking with football betting.

No comments:

Post a Comment